Monday, September 7, 2009

PONTING RETIRES FROM 20-20 INTERNATIONALS

Aussie skipper Ricky Ponting today announced his retirement from international Twenty20.
Ponting will continue to remain the captain of the Test and ODI sides, stepped away from the international Twenty20 format in an effort to prolong his playing career.
Addressing the media, Ponting said: "After much thought and careful consideration I have advised Cricket Australia of my decision to retire from international Twenty20 cricket."
"I have also spoken to Andrew Hilditch, Tim Nielsen and Michael Clarke and I feel this decision provides me the opportunity to prolong my Australian Test and one-day career, an opportunity I am extremely determined about."
"As I said after the fifth Test in London, I am hoping to continue playing Test cricket for as long as possible and retiring from the Twenty20 format gives me the best chance of doing this."
"I will now have set periods of rest throughout the Australian summer and while touring which I feel will be very beneficial," Ponting said.
"While I will no longer be available for Australian Twenty20 cricket, I look forward to playing with Tasmania's KFC Big Bash team where possible and to fulfilling my contract with the Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League," he added.

No comments: